Although this new hype called Gamification has had a major boost since 2012’ Jesse Schell’s conference at DICE or 2011’ Jane Mcgonigal’s at TED, at GECOn.es we consider that (especially from a marketing perspective) Gamification has been referred as the systematization and research –from a more contemporary prism- of an attitude that is embedded in the human culture since its beginning: the playful attitude, strongly tied to our learning, to our ways of relating and communicating and also to our strategy of frustration management (you can read more about these ideas in our article “Gamification versus Ludictatorship“).
What is Gamification to GECON.es?
Contemporary authors use the term gamification for describing a methodology that clearly seeks to connect with people’s motivations, be they children, youth or adults, through game techniques and elements. It is about inviting participants in an attractive way to get them engaged in what we propose, for them to enjoy and repeat.
Gamification uses game techniques and elements to drive behavioral changes by a balanced stimulation of intrinsic and extrinsic motivations, this way we get a cycle of interest, effort, creativity and reward which modifies and / or reinforces those changes.
At GECON.es we research and work in gamification since 2010 thanks to an experienced team that participates in various national and international initiatives in this interesting field.
Benefits of Using Gamification
The analysis of the user/gamer type combined with the selection of proper game mechanics and components lead us to the generation of high-impact actions. Thanks to gamification, among others, we can:
- Help drive behavioral changes in many fields of application.
- Obtain large amounts of data that can then be processed with Big-Data and / or visualization techniques.
- Build consumer confidence as well as involve them on the improvement of products and / or services.
- Make organization relationships, internal or external, more “smart”.
- Improve the quality of working life and productivity of employees by stimulating the generation of corporate culture.
- Help patients to follow treatment more effectively and regularly while giving emotional support to caregivers.
Where do We Implement Gamification?
Gamification can be applied in many different areas and sectors. At GECON.es we are specialized in the application of gamification and techniques in:
- Cultural tourism.
- Environment sustainability
- Citizen participation and Smart Citizenship.
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT).
For more information please visit our Projects page.
How do We Apply Gamification?
GECON.es applies gamification through an in-house framework based on a triple analysis: user, ethical objectives and implementation framework.
As previously described, we believe that gamification is a very powerful tool that can also generate counterproductive dynamics if not properly applied. Some authors have voiced the need to incorporate an ethical and respectful framework to gamification projects to get greater efficacy (Versteeg, M.J.J.M.; Zicherman, G ; Bogost, I.; Escribano, F.)
In addition to our own Framework, GECON.es has a set of powerful tools for the analysis, research and implementation of gamification:
- GameSeeds. Research & Development project for the Design for Playful Impact (Utrecht School of the Arts)
- El videojuego como herramienta para la pedagogía artística. Creatividad e innovación. Flavio Escribano (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
We invite you to download our New PDF Dossier [2 MB] for more information about our activities.